Gingivitis; most of the people are not even aware about this obnoxious oral disease. Most of the time people ignore blood splits while brushing. This can be a sign of chronic gum disease or gingivitis.
What exactly this disease is and how it can harm you? Gingivitis is actually a kind of gum disease which results in bleeding, swelling and inflammation in gums because of the bacteria coated around teeth. This is a slow yet perilous disease, which if ignored, can result in the damage of gum tissues. These damaged gum tissues further creates pockets which holds more bacteria and ultimately, results in the complete detachment of tooth from gum. It is absolutely essential to know every angle of this disease and most important how to fight with this disease.
Understand the Symptoms and Causes
Firstly, you must be aware of every symptoms of this disease and never ignore them at any cost:
- Swelling on Gums
- Redness in Gums
- Loose teeth
- Teeth Pulled Away from Gums
- Infection or pus between gums and teeth
- Gum Bleeding while Brushing or Flossing
- Excessive Pain while chewing
- Consistent Bad Breath even after brushing
Apart from symptoms, you must also know the basic causes which are responsible for this gum disease:
- Improper Brushing and Flossing
- Habit of Smoking and Tobacco Chewing
- Medical History like Diabetes
- During Pregnancy
- Crooked teeth and Broken Filling
Precaution is always better than cure. You can keep yourself safe from this disease simply by keeping few of the precautions such as if you will take balanced diet such as watery and leafy vegetables, fresh fruits, etc and avoid sticky and junk food which is more bacteria prone then, you can certainly be 30% safe from this disease. Similarly, by maintaining oral hygiene, brushing twice a day for two minutes and flossing once a day, you can keep yourself safe for about more than 40%. You should also use fluoride toothpaste for emasculating bacteria’s invasion in your mouth.
You should also take proper measures for cleaning your tongue as it acts as Velcro for bacteria. From tongue, these bacteria can travel up to teeth and then gum resulting in gingivitis. Hence, it is highly recommended to keep a watch on tongue cleaning as well.
To finish the complete oral cycle of the day always use mouth-wash to rinse your mouth after brush and floss but make sure that mouth-wash is approved by the dental association.
Even after keeping all the precaution you feel any of the symptoms then, head straight towards your DP and take proper treatment.
How to fight with this disease?
There are some easy and straightforward tips which can help you to fight against gingivitis:
- Start with Dry Brushing: Before brushing with toothpaste, always do dry brushing, this is more effective in removing dental plaque.
- No over Pressure: Avoid putting too much pressure while brushing as it can damage your gums unnecessarily.
- Use Soft Bristle Brush: This will help cleaning your teeth without bothering your gums.
- Tongue Cleaning: Tongue Cleaning is equally important to avoid gingivitis
- Electric Toothbrushes: They are better options to build interest in brushing
- Floss and Water Irrigators: They are the prime requirements for complete oral hygiene as most of the corners and gaps are unapproachable for brush
- Baking Soda and Saline Water: These are some of the organic products which can be used for rinsing your mouth right after eating anything.
In the nutshell, whether you have any symptom of gingivitis or not, it is always good to pull up your socks to combat this disease. Never avoid any symptom and always keep all the precaution. Always remember to go for regular dental check-ups as your DP is the ultimate guideline to save you from this ailment.